livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cities of Light
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 08:19:36 -0700

Along that same line, last nite Barb was telling me too many don't want to
bother with it. It does make sense that If all have food everyone is more
secure. But too many people used to fast food and frozen dinners don't like
strange food - or the work of growing. So we concluded the most successful
strategy would be getting others to try growing and preparing only the most
familiar vegetables. And of course you can have endless variety in meals from
just a few basic foods prepared in different ways.

But it does take time and practice to produce food, so the time to start is
before shortages or high prices. The time to learn how is not when people are
in a panic over the household budget. And of course the lead time between
planting and harvesting is months - months of wishing they'd started sooner.
So what can spark the interest for those not ready to hear it?