livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:37:36 -0500

On 11/25/2010 05:38 PM, Tradingpost wrote:
I water some crops, but most of our gardening utilizes the dust mulch method.
. .

With Paul, I have always found this notion of a "dust mulch" not only pretty much voodoo, but counter to everything I know about actual behavior of soil. Where is the most bioactive part of the soil profile? Right at the *surface*. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to *dry* that part of the soil community's habitat? And I question whether a "dust mulch" could possibly retain more moisture in the soil than an organic mulch--or even a canopy of closely planted crops in a bed.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.