livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] roto crutch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] roto crutch
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:42:41 -0700

I'll testify to the weed thing. Why keep bringing weed seeds to the surface?
I've never used a tiller, and only dug initially to amend dead dirt in a
hurry and pile it up higher in framed beds. And since I mulch year round
there are almost zero weeds to pull. But don't I need to work up the soil for
planting? No. With organic matter in it and mulch on top, and walking in
permanent aisles instead of compacting the beds, the soil stays ready for
planting. No brainer.