livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] bio intensive

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] bio intensive
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:12:55 -0800 (PST)

Do you include bone meal/eggshell as organic matter?

I was quite enamored about the rock dust thing that came by but I notice that no matter how deep the bed is, those earthworms churn minerals up from beneath very efficiently.  The notorious percolating clays, hereabouts, are actually quite mineral-rich.  My very new beds already have such a delightful level of integrated soil.  I know I am still doing something "wrong"  My tomatoes are hardly blooming, but I'm getting bumper crops of peppers and eggplants, still, not to mention herbs.

Yours, Pego

<<<When I teach a workshop, I post the following at the front of the room:
?
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING,
FROM ANYBODY,
AT ANYTIME,
FOR THE FARM OR GARDEN
[a few rare exceptions].
?
Seed is one exception.
?
Fertilizer comes form green manure/cover crops. Rarely, something has to be added in?certain soils.?
?
?
Rule no. 1?? ADD ORGANIC MATTER.? If you want ten rules, repeat no. 1 nine more times.
?
Ken H>>>

  • Re: [Livingontheland] bio intensive, Pego Rice, 11/26/2010