livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] roto crutch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] roto crutch
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:03:39 -0800 (PST)

There are weeds and you kill them by tilling. Tilling brings up a new set of seed so you start over.  After 1-2 years of no till there will be few weeds. You stop bring up the weed seed.  In our garden we had six beds, 6 ft x 70 ft. and it took me 15 minutes a week to pull all the weeks.
Produce what you are producing now.

VA:  I'm a left-over from the original soils list, was converted then to no-till but I'm still learning.  Had our first hard frost last night, but I was prepared with the help of Coleman's "Four-Season Harvest".  Our beds produce year 'round, never mono-crop, mostly volunteers.  Amazingly simple.  My 99 year old mother, who grew up on a Michigan farm, is still shocked at how well this works.  Even with last winter's 6 feet of snow.  Tom Vincent

Ken