livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 22:39:45 -0600

To be sustainable, the growing system must first sustain the grower.

This site is about the Hitts who apparently make a living selling what they
grow. Their story is interesting for their evolving strategies for growing
and marketing.
http://www.sare.org/publications/naf2/hitt.htm

This is my main concern - how families in various climates can grow
sustainably and make a decent living at it. Information on this is hard to
come by, possibly because so few have found a finacially sustainable model.
I've looked into three cases but each leaves questions. My own system in a
difficult climate can be profitable, but is probably not scalable or
practical for many growers in this region.

I'm interested in anything on this topic and will pursue it as long as I'm
able.

"Clearly, our present ways of agriculture are not sustainable, and so our
food supply is not sustainable. We must restore ecological health to our
agricultural landscapes, as well as economic and cultural stability to our
rural communities."
- Wendell Berry & Wes Jackson

“All of the debts for society’s century-long industrial fiesta are coming
due at the same time. We have no choice but to transition to a world no
longer dependent on fossil fuels, a world made up of communities and
economies that function within ecological bounds. How we manage this
transition is the most important question of our time.”
-- Richard Heinberg

"How do you move from a system which has built in destruction of the
planet and built in devastation for local communities and local economies and
transition back to systems which formerly worked and new environmentally
sustainable systems? That’s the project of our time."
- Jerry Mander

"Many types of jobs will cease to exist: public relations executive,
marketing directors, et cetera. I think work will be very hands-on, and a lot
of it will revolve around food production."
-- James Howard Kunstler, 2003