livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan@windwalkerfarm.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:39:46 -0600

Title: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
I have a permaculture design degree based on a two-week course I took in ‘94 from Jerome Osentowski at CRMPI in Basalt, CO.  The course was very empowering and to this day we utilize many of the principles (and many of which were already in practice on our farm).  However, to think that I could return to Kansas and imitate what Jerome was doing at 7 or 8 thousand feet with multiple interns was ludicrous.  And, that’s where the problem arises.  Permaculture should be taught in the same geographical area in which it will be applied by the student.  The biggest obstacle we continue to have, despite all the mulch and weeding in the world, are traveling weed seeds that invade any surface once we turn our backs.  We have yet to find a permaculture-type principle that applies to this situation.  In face, we had a Intro to Permaculture course here in ‘95 and Jerome came and taught it.  He was blown away by the variety, amount, and tenacity of “weeds” that threatened our gardens.

Paul, I think you are very correct when you say that you use what works within your limitations.  This is what we need to pass on when people are walking down our dirt roads for food – what works where you are standing.

Joan