livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:47:12 -0600

The spiritual aspect of reconnecting with nature was not avoidable, even for my scientist (geophysicist/geologist) wife, when we lived in a Permaculture design. It's not just the plants, though. It's all of nature. Nature is my Higher Power (I've been happily sober for three months and twenty three years today).

Yes, I think the idea is to make the future better than the past. Plato said that the meaning of human existence is found in relations. It's taken twenty five hundred years, but we're finally getting it. Jesus only gave one commandment: love each other. We're not even close on that one, as far as I can tell. But that's where living in relations with the land, with "all our relations," takes us, sooner or later, I think. John Bradshaw once described it as an oceanic feeling of secure connection with all that exists. He was talking about the context of two people falling in love, though.

One thing is for sure. We in the US can no longer live a lifestyle supported by exploiting Others (we're less than five percent of the global population yet we consume forty three percent of global resource production each year). We have to come back down to Earth and join life in progress. I think a load gets off of us as soon as we do that. It's certain that our relations with our fellow species members will immediately improve.

Smiles.
Tommy