livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:12:37 -0700

Very good, Mark. I recommend that to every person with access to a computer.
I first saw Bartlett's presentation at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY . So what's this got to do with
living on the land? Everything. As they say, do the math.

All reports point to rapid depletion of all the natural resources used to
feed our population. And due to the doubling time (exponential function)
Bartlett explained, those resources will be virtually gone much sooner than
imagined - IF present growth and consumption continues. Not eating is not an
option. The fundamentals of sustainable food production are the obvious
answers, including soil building, growing healthier food, growing more in
less space, and growing with less water, machinery, money, and fossil fuels.
My own market growing makes progress in each of those areas by the methods
I've learned from researching, but it still takes fossil fuel to haul free
amendments, pump water, and get to market.