livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Lynn Montgomery" <sunfarm@toast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:04:11 -0700

Dear Paul,
   I have to agree. I live in the semi-desert too. And in an old hippie commune where I'm the only one left. I do a lot of regional water planning, which means I'm aware of the changes climate brings to NM and Arizona. Over 2 thousand years. Five years is way too short to claim victory. Wait about 20 years and the normal, usual, decade long drought, at the very least, will arrive and all that wonderful permaculture will dry up and blow away. A lot of this is simple anthropocentric human arrogance-"we are so superior to everything else in the universe and our wonderful superior minds can overcome anything". Anything except our own folly. Those that study archaeology here can tell us of lots of tribes and civilizations that had the same attitude, and disappeared completely. The people in the old days here, when they were fortunate to have a good year, would grow 5 years worth of beans, at least. When it doesn't rain at all, and I mean not at all, then all that catchment etc. is nothing but ugly alteration of the natural state. I hope that reality and the long cycles of nature come into some of these theories and temper them with real reason. And humility.
    Being spiritual and bringing the rain and life is not easy. And one has to be very careful. Our local Native Americans are more careful than anyone I know of and sometimes their thousands of years old ways don't work. So don't expect something that you just made up to work very well. The individual can have all those relationships we are talking about, and that is a very good thing, but we aren't going to change the way people do things. It would be nice if all those millions suddenly went away. I always hope a good disease will come around and do the job and those left don't have to feel guilty.
Regards, Lynn Montgomery

To Grow a garden is to believe in tomorrow
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Message: 8