livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "henry walden" <henrywalden@lycos.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:02:59 -0500 (EST)

Paul, one of these days I wanna go for a cruise and come see your place swap
some ideas etc.

Ed

Date : Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:00:44 -0700
>From : "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
To : livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

That cold breeze is picking up and I don't feel like going back out, so it's
back to the keyboard again and some warm soup. That hotbox of Harvey's really
works. Covering over a frame, inside the greenhouse keeps the cold out
(Harvey's been at this a lot longer than yours truly). Eliot Coleman
explained the idea of layering, like we put on extra clothing in winter. He
uses row covers inside a greenhouse. The greens don't keep growing in the
dead of winter, but he gets them to sale size before the cold and the row
cover protects them to sell Dec &amp; Jan without frost damage.

To get an even earlier start on tomatoes and sweet peppers I built a couple
airtight plastic on wood frame hotboxes in the sunroom, with a small
thermostat heater in them and a door that opens in front. Those seeds need at
least 70 degrees to germinate well. As they grow they get moved to gallon
pots, then transplanted in greenhouse beds with a post hole digger that makes
a perfect size hole for them, then cardboard boxes over them at night in May.
Now that the outside cats have mysteriously multiplied and taken over the
sunroom I'm not sure what I'll do this spring.