livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:35:04 -0800 (PST)

It's funny what you said, Paul

About not originally thinking that permaculture applied to farms.  The first I saw of it was so specific to small family farms that I didn't think of applying it to my little spaces for *Years*  I was so inspired when I found a book addressing just that.  My family, tho, were the typical farmer families of the last century, all either getting bigger or getting out, tho actually doing both as the farms and tending the farm and studying to keep up with tending the farm, and working extra to afford the equipment now needed to tend the farms.. ect.ect.ect ad nauseum.  It certainly got to the point that on family visits my uncle had scarce time to attend the rituals of reconnection with the rest of us, but would get in out of the field and immediately start catching up on reports.  My cousins were not enchanted by an all work, no play lifestyle.  Who is?  People aren't meant to live in this dichotomous way of either too rich to work or too much work to have a life.  People are tribal in nature, the way dogs are pack animals and horses, herd.  We need both an intimate society and to be needed within it, a contributing member.  Permaculture is all about NOT taking on more than you should, but leveraging the framework to do the work for you.

I still don't have my larger (with forest and creek) lot.  My HOA property, tho, has taken on a pretty intense bit of terraforming to create a space that I can manage.  I'm even sharing some of it with a friend from church that has almost no yard.

Yours, Pego

<<Permaculture is a design system intended to consciously and ethically place humans back into the natural order, based on processes of observation and interaction, in a way that fosters ecological resilience. >>>