livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Harvey

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Arzeena Hamir <arzeenahamir@shaw.ca>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Harvey
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:56:24 -0800

I'd like to add a slightly different perspective on the eating meat idea.

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and I consider it a privilege to be able to eat the way I do. The reason I'm saying this is that it became abundantly clear when a group of us decided to do a "10 Mile Diet" for 10 days that finding local sources of protein in my community (outside of Vancouver, BC) was a big challenge. That first year we did the 10 mile diet challenge, I suddenly realized how very difficult it would be to rely on a vegetarian diet here for my protein. We have very few farms that raise eggs (I do eat eggs and milk). Due to our somewhat draconian milk laws, you can't purchase milk direct from the 2 dairies that still exist here. There are no local cheese makers. So, you're left with growing your own beans and because of our climate (Pacific Northwest), that's pretty risky due to early fall rains.

In addition to all of this, it is becoming more apparent to me that in order to make this food system work, we need small animals in urban environments to help us recycle much of the organic food waste we have. I do compost - I collect kitchen scraps from a number of families in my community but even then, there is still so much food wastage that is otherwise thrown out that could be recycled through animals. I look at all the restaurants and groceries that are dumping the scraps and it's extremely frustrating. I don't think having local governments collect all this organic waste (food waste is so heavy - can't imagine how much fuel it takes to lug it around) and compost it in a central facility makes sense. It needs to be recycled as close to its source as possible. Our own city has refused to allow chickens unless the homeowner has 1/2 an acre. This makes no sense to me. Urban households are ideal places for small animals - the urban environment creates so much waste and I (and many of my neighbours) would love the eggs!

So, for a number of reasons, I foresee myself probably beginning to eat meat again in the future. I won't be able to rely on soy being available - right now it's mostly coming in from China or the US and although I only eat organic soy, I still don't consider this sustainable. Pulses and dry beans, although cheap to produce, will need to be brought in from elsewhere. All of this requires some sort of fuel to get it here. I can only grow so much fava and dry beans in my own gardens. Although feed rations will need to be supplemented, I foresee lots of potential for using stale bread, vegetable trimmings, and even brewers yeast.

While I can, I'm going to enjoy my vegetarian lifestyle but I will be open to the idea of getting my protein from an animal source if there ever comes a time that I need to.

Arzeena