livingontheland - [Livingontheland] homegrown meat

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dianne Palmer-Quay <dpalmerquay@gmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] homegrown meat
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:12:32 -0500

Morgan wrote:
<If any of my kids (goat type, just so we're clear) die this spring I'm going to try my hand at butchering them just for
practice...well, and so they don't go to waste.

I hope you mean to just practice cutting up and not to eat as well!   (I know the carrion-eating birds have amazing digestive systems but I'd not bank on mine being able to handle it.)

I have four-legged kids too and the extra males go into the freezer.  It's not hard to do - especially with the right equipment,  Besides who cares how you get it cut up, as long as it fits into your pot (we cut everything to fit the crock pot.)

Dianne in SC

  • [Livingontheland] homegrown meat, Dianne Palmer-Quay, 12/03/2009