livingontheland - [Livingontheland] urban protein sourcing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] urban protein sourcing
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:53:01 -0800 (PST)

Arzeema,

The protein isn't the only thing needed and most easily obtained from adding
some form of animal products back into the diet: omega oils, the animal fat,
and the minerals like condroiton/msm etc...Something I think urban dwellers
should consider is pigeons and other small birds for their eggs or squab.
Those produce great manure for small gardens/compost and don't require as
much space as full grown birds, but may give you just the little extra needed
in the diet to be really healthy long term.

I loved having pigeons and will do that again some day. For now I have
plenty of chickens for my eggs and stocks, but i have enough land for them
also.

The other thing it is easy for an urban dweller to set up is fish -- check
out the aquaponics potentials from the multitude of various setups here:
www.backyardaquaponics.com For water stewardship and places with poor or
contaminated soils, I think this is a must. I've been trying to focus on my
own aquaponics setup this fall, but working with essential oils and finishing
my applied aromatherapy training is taking my time instead, so I'm postponed
completing my aquaponics in a hoophouse till the spring. I've got the frame
up and some of the supplies assembled. Fish don't make noise the neighbors
won't like and are agreat source of omegas and protein too.

blessings,
Carrie