livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] urban protein sourcing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] urban protein sourcing
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 19:42:54 -0500

Carrie Shepard wrote:
Something I think urban dwellers should consider is pigeons and other small birds for their eggs or squab. . .
The other thing it is easy for an urban dweller to set up is fish. . .
~Carrie

I've never tried them, but guinea pigs are raised in many cities worldwide as a supplementary source of live protein in contexts in which even rabbits would be too demanding in terms of space, infrastructure, and management. Small in size, but even the simplest green foods can ensure a steady supply of meat for the family. A google "guinea pig food urban" will get plenty of hits, one of them an FAO document:
http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/004/Y0500E/y0500e05.htm

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia