livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Harvey

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Harvey
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:09:13 -0600

Jaylee Barzo wrote:
Have you ever killed and butchered an
animal so you could eat it? Ever looked into
its eyes as it died so you could eat meat?

I'm pretty sure he raises and butchers his own chickens.
Maybe even his own beef once in awhile.

What's the big deal? It's all in how you are raised I suppose. I admit my dad didn't let me kill anything except fish (ok, and crabs), but I've cleaned my fair share of quail and doves. Not that I'm wild about hunting or shooting things, but my father and brothers all hunted. I can fish, but I sort of grew out of that. If it were necessary and useful (and available) I would certainly take it up again.

If any of my kids (goat type, just so we're clear) die this spring I'm going to try my hand at butchering them just for practice...well, and so they don't go to waste. I've eaten plenty of stuff I fed and cared for. People are too far removed from their food sources these days, it's not a good thing.

If the extra kids I'm not keeping to milk in the future don't sell, I expect they'll end up in the freezer in fall. Although as long as I don't mind selling them for meat, I'm pretty sure all the extra boys will go. I'm told the Hispanics in the area don't want to eat girl goats but they're quite willing to eat boy goats.

Morgan