livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:29:47 -0500

Always appropriate, isn't it. As for us here we grow for markets on less
than a quarter acre. It's not a living of course, and with a short
frost-free season, poor soil to start with and very low rainfall it's too
much work for us.
My father acquired a 1300 acre farm for 100 bucks an acre in 1975. Being mostly swamp and tundra, it barely supported 100 milking head and the other supporting cast (pigs, calves, heifers, etc). I thought of it as a massive farm.

I now own 50 acres, and I have learned to think of it as a massive place. It is a size which requires machinery, but even with machinery, one person cannot be on the whole place in their mind. Regardless of the labor, I have found that an acre is as much as one person can properly keep in useful focus throughout the seasons. More than that and the details suffer.

I now understand how this farm could be 50 families' source of food and income, but they would have to BE here in order for it to happen. We have spent the last 100 years destroying that opportunity with petroleum and money as motive.

Dan C.