livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:26:58 -0400

Hi Paul,
IMO smaller livestock does better.  I have sheep and goats that I rotate and free range chickens.  My brother has a pair of Royal Palm turkeys that we also rotate in behind the livestock.  I think any of the smaller breeds of livestock do better, and I'm including the small breeds of cattle.  When used for meat they are easier to process on the farm and even though they are smaller the bone to meat ratio is better so much of the time you get more meat percentage wise from a small animal then from a large one.
Norma