livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 07:32:04 -0500

mdnagel@verizon.net wrote:
Not enough data to make conclusions...

Yeah

I believe that this point had been previously made (in other postings), that not all acres are equal. 50 acres in Ohio is different than 50 acres in Arizona/Alaska etc..

Yeah. I have that problem.

As a regular follower/subsciber of The Stockman Grass Farmer I'm pretty much convinced that livestock is essential for maintaining soil fertility, which would mean that farm sizes would likely need to be a bit on the bigger (not HUGE) size, though, once again, it depends on one's locale.

And the livestock. Not everyone wants or needs cows...or even goats or pigs or whatever. Chickens would probably be better in some areas, goats in others. I bet rabbits would work better for some people, too.

Morgan, who has miniature goats and lives in the land of acres per cow, not cows per acre.