livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 00:13:07 -0600

I assume that's you on the Kubota, right? Now, I'd like to reach the same
conclusion but Worden Farm, being a CSA with volunteer labor, wouldn't be the
best case of a 50-acre farm supporting 50 people. We don't have enough
information to know how far that production would go to "support" 50 people.
And the need for six volunteer laborers still leaves the financial viability
of 50-acres supporting 50 people offsite an open question. And as Mark
reminds us, not all acres are created equal. Florida with a nine-month
growing season should be able to reach the mark if anywhere can.

But there's more than the question of 50 acres feeding 50 people. To
completely support one person per acre it also needs to make a profit to fund
all other needs besides food. There's a test of financial viability in all
this. I remain skeptical about power machinery in the cost/gross ratio.
Mark's point about livestock raises another question. What kind of livestock
works best for maintaining fertility? Does it increase labor too much? Can
outside inputs work better financially?