livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Prof: Grazing a mixed bag

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Emery Mitchamore <emitch@att.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Prof: Grazing a mixed bag
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:59:26 -0500

A key point of so-called "mob" grazing is that cows, like any animal, will, given the time, eat what they prefer and leave the rest.  With high stocking rates and little time, they will eat what they can get.  Thus a mixed-grass pasture (like a native prairie), which has greater resilience, will be eaten more evenly.  Alan Savory and the Holistic Management organizations have a great deal of information on this topic.  The more "mainstream" stockman's organizations are only recently getting on board.