livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Prof: Grazing a mixed bag

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Prof: Grazing a mixed bag
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:38:52 -0400

Yes, periodic mowing, when needed, can help (to catch weedy pastures
>> before going to seed). I wouldn't, however, rely on such activities
>> being sustainable (machines, oil etc.). ~Mark Nagel
>
> Have you tried a scythe? Great tool, I love using it.

Do you use a scythe for anything more than small areas? Acquiring a scythe and learning to use it is one of my next goals, but I'm not sure how feasible it is (for me, at any rate) for large areas of pasture grass or grain.

Liz

I mow up to an acre of pasture using the scythe.

Caveats:

*I'm not as good with it as I'd like to be. "Good" as in "efficient." Balanced, ergonomic use is the key--achieve that, and you won't strain assorted body parts, and you will get a lot more grass cut per time/energy expended. The action is in the hips--released of coiled energy there. Proper swing brings a slicing action to bear on the grass, as opposed to hacking at the grass as if the scythe were a different type of slingblade. I enjoy using this tool more as its use gets to be more of a dance. And the sound of the blade cutting off the stems is pleasant.

*I make one or two cuttings in the spring, when the grass is lush, easier to cut, and you get more return to labor. Later in the season the grass is drier, so stems are harder, more energy to cut, for smaller yield. I use a power mower during the summer to prevent too large a set of "weed" seeds.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

Anyone who believes in infinite growth in a
finite world is either mad or an economist. ~Kenneth Boulding