livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Crops, ponds destroyed in quest for food safety

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Crops, ponds destroyed in quest for food safety
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:07:28 -0400

<Harvey wrote> "Madness this organized and this blind and on this scale can only end in Collapse. Maybe that won't be such a bad thing. . ."

I agree Harvey, it will end in "collapse" but the ripple effect would have a total collapse including, I think, social services. I also think that this would be a horrible thing to see happen; aside from the fact that we would then be totally at the mercy of other countries and not just with regards to food.

Elizabeth

I couldn't agree more that a serious collapse of the current system would be a "horrible thing," and I apologize if my musing about it being not such a bad thing implied that I would welcome it. But *continuation* of the current system would be a pretty "horrible thing" as well.

One specific way in which collapse could have a silver lining is that it might tend to limit agriculture-as-war-on-nature, which is where this thread started, and which keeps us on topic.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

A society that permits the advantages of ecological abuse to go to individuals, while the costs are shared by the whole society, is effectively subsidizing the destruction of its environment. ~John Michael Greer