livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Prof: Grazing a mixed bag

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Prof: Grazing a mixed bag
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:29:35 -0400

Yes, periodic mowing, when needed, can help (to catch weedy pastures
before going to seed). I wouldn't, however, rely on such activities
being sustainable (machines, oil etc.). ~Mark Nagel

Have you tried a scythe? Great tool, I love using it.

Do you use a scythe for anything more than small areas? Acquiring a scythe and learning to use it is one of my next goals, but I'm not sure how feasible it is (for me, at any rate) for large areas of pasture grass or grain.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com