livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Holistic Range mgt.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Holistic Range mgt.
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:29:17 -0600

Ken, this reminds me of something usually attributed to Darwin about the
survival of the fittest. Not who can destroy the most to survive but who
can adapt and cooperate to survive. Farmers who can't adapt to low fossil
fuel growing and marketing, climate shifts, and soil building and moisture
conserving methods will just go out of business. People go out of business
all the time. I'm trying to learn by doing in an arid ecosystem myself. And
there is a learning curve. But for now we still have the use of of fossil
fuel transportation, and plenty of organic amendments from animals and
other sources that won't last indefinitely.