livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 09:36:07 -0700 (PDT)

Everything has its place. I think people do probably over use them, but some of what gene says here is absolutely incorrect. On sloping terrain raise beds with properly build foundations actually conserve water and can act like 'sponges' and when you plant things in between the beds you do actually have an easier time irrigating and improve yields. I don't understand his comment about roots coming in to contact with soggy soil , it sounds like he's never seen a 8' high raised bed, he's talking about something 1'-2' agl which is one type of raised bed - a little different than what I've seen people do on sloping land or clay soils.

Some soils actually hold minerals 18" or so below the O and A horizons, and flipping them every couple years actually does help nutrients get to plant roots.  Some soils, some conditions. I've always liked Wendell Berry's quote about 'farming fitting the farm' , seems to fit gardens too.

To be fair Gene lives in the flatlands and right along where the wisconsonian glacier left its alluvials 70,000 years ago, probably enough left over runoff from old lake chicago that he'll never worry about fertility or porous soils that lose theirs. In defense of raised beds, I like the idea of being able to harvest without having to test my back , but to be honest I'm neither double digging nor raising my beds right now. But If I thought it would improve things, I wouldn't hestitate to do so.