livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:11:12 -0700

Quite true. Also, we think of "farm land" but there's a lot of land not
considered tractor farmable for large acreage that's not in the cities at
all. Yet it's fair game for minifarming or at least home growing. It may be
small plots depleted long ago or hilly or partially forested or rocky and
so on. Or simply abandoned. Land that looks unpromising from the road may
be just the ticket for a lot of people to start with. If there's manure or
other organic waste available nearby there's always the potential for
rebuilding soil at very low cost. As things get worse out there a lot of
people might take a second look and see what they can do with such places.
Where I'm growing it doesn't look like "farm land" by any stretch. Great.
It's dirt cheap. But amended and watered it grows like mad.

As for the people, let's not forget millions of renters who can move, and
may have to in the future. Thousands of small towns have been depopulated
by industrial agribusiness and want new blood. And those small towns are
far more affordable than the suburbs. And probably safer ...