livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: ryalbinger@earthlink.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:51:15 -0700

Good income is relative to cost of living, isn't it. People don't need an
"influx of capital" to start growing profitably in a rural setting, and I
can say that because I've done exactly that - like so many others. For my
part I was proposing they be self employed growers and pay themselves, hmm?
And that many more just grow their own and cut their food costs
drastically.

Those figures don't apply for microfarming. The human body is about the
most fuel-efficient mechanism around in terms of calories or BTUs. Draft
animals aren't unrealistic either (and they grow their own replacements!).
I'm not saying ban all gasoline - no matter how high it goes. I still use
gas to haul manure and go to market. As it is, gas powered equipment for
the various jobs in the kind of permanent bed growing that I do just
doesn't exist. Nor is it needed. With the morning stiffness of 64 I still
managed to get over the first year hump when most of the initial labor was
done, the hauling and digging, the bed setup, fencing, and greenhouse.
Millions more can do it, obviously, and it helps if they're younger too ;-)
Point being, with intensive beds the labor required is not unrealistic even
in the first year when most of the work is done.

We're stuck in the industrial mindset where capital must be invested to pay
hired labor to produce us a profit. I'm saying that between debt for
machinery and lots of land, and high input costs and wholesale prices
farmers will go broke - which is precisely what's been happening to farm
families for decades. That is what has to change. Back to what Ken says,
the problem is in the head.