livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: ryalbinger@earthlink.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:18:57 -0700

Agree. And that said, some of this country is slipping into third world
status in the current system. And the rest is getting squeezed too. That
outside economy IS the problem. It's what's driving up the cost of
farmland, the cost of food and energy, and cost of health care (so called).
No town or village is going to be 100% self contained (nor should it be)
but self sufficient in most food needed can surely help. And that's more
needed as outside commerce becomes too expensive or shortages more
unpredictable.

Gilbert-based Re/Max 2000, one of the Phoenix area's largest real estate
brokerages, has shut down its 13 offices, putting 350 agents and 20 other
employees out of work.
http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2007/12/26/news/state/20071226_arizona_ne
ws_54.txt

Subject: US home prices fall by a record in October for 23rd straight month
of deceleration
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071226/NEWS0102/91324637
3/-1/FOSNEWS0405

Unpaid credit cards bedevil Americans
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2007-12/24/content_6343211.htm

U.S. banks abandon massive fund for credit crunch
http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/423482

New funding crisis to hit banks in 2008
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/dec/23/creditcrunch.banking

US gov't tries to contain mortgage crisis
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2007-12/24/content_6343712.htm

Can industrial civilization really become sustainable? Should it?
http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2006/08/15/shaw/

Win the rat race by not entering
http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2007/12/23/news/opinion/guest_columnist/2
0071223_guest_23.txt

Which way now when the world has shifted?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/dec/23/creditcrunch1
The truth, however, is that in 2007 the financial world was turned upside
down: the credit crunch has toppled a golden decade of extraordinary
prosperity in the UK and accelerated a shift in the global balance of
economic power. One consequence is that banks in the City and Wall Street,
the engine rooms of capitalism, have been so desperate for cash that they
have sold large chunks of their equity to China or Middle Eastern states.

On 12/27/2007 at 2:33 PM Ryan Albinger wrote:

>The influx of capital I was referring to was in the setting of the local
>economy. People and growers can exchange and barter, but unless there are
>100% closed loop and never need anything beyond themselves, someone has to
>create surplus goods to sell to a willing party for money- an influx of
>capital. The persons buying the goods need money from somewhere, who need
>money from somewhere, who need money from somewhere..................
>
>Without that trade outside the community, they become poorer as they
>deplete their economic engine. Yes, they do not have to sell to exchange
>capital, but then they become substienece community at best and if this
>occurs on the larger sense, a third world country- a people so poor to
grow
>enough to live and becoming a breeding ground for civil unrest, war,
>humanatarian disater, and the endless cycle thereof.
>
>In context of thought, the only thing seperating the US and third world
>countries, unfornunately primarily African nations, is we have trade with
>the world which keeps the economic cycle running, while not positive, it
>keeps us from slipping into third world status.
>
>A local economy is great. But a local economy can only work if it's
>supported by a broadscale economy.
>
>Ryan

snip