livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:55:13 -0500

At 11:35 AM 12/16/2007, you wrote:

Here's a good listing of farmers markets

http://www.localharvest.org/
or zoom in on farmers markets, 3484 listings
http://www.localharvest.org/search.jsp?&ty=1&nm=

Well, that pretty much bears out what I said. In a 12-county area of southwest Virginia, there are exactly four farmer's markets, all in what passes for major cities out here. But most of the little rural grocery store/gas stations carry locally grown produce. So it still gets widely sold.

My work schedule doesn't permit me to garden as much as I want right now, but I am going to sell herb seedlings this spring at our farmers' market, assuming it's open. The town applied for a grant to develop an old building site that had been razed. After the paving was done, they found out that the grant couldn't be used to build any kind of structure. So it's just a parking lot, which is no problem--the few people who do sell there just open up the back of the pick up truck and do fine. But it means the town isn't advertising and spreading the word about it, because it isn't "official" yet. Sometimes you have to just scratch your head and wonder.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com