livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Home Sweet Farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Home Sweet Farm
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:10:25 -0500

Paul,
I am sure we can agree that CSA's and Farmers markets are two important,
growing and different tools of distributing the food we grow to the people
that need it.
Within 30 miles of me there are some 15 CSA's, several Farmers markets and
several retail outlets. Each of these options have their shortcomings but
are all thriving never the less. They share some features and not others but
they are all important to our community vitality.
As you know local agriculture is a fragile and evolving movement. I feel it
is important that the thinking done about it is based on experience and not
projections and is free of absolutes and limiting thinking.
The important innovations in our area have been introduced by people who
either 'didn't know it couldn't be done' or refuse to accept that things
have to be done the way they have been. They were also surrounded by people
who said it could not be done which is of no help whatsoever and becomes a
joke when they persist even in the face of evidence that in fact it can and
is being done.
Each to their own.
Dave
Mahaiwe Harvest CSA