livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TOHELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TOHELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:45:51 -0600

On Dec 15, 2007, at 4:29 PM, Phil Bunch wrote:

Marty;

So what have been the results of this change in practice?

I'm pretty early in the no till cycle. Too early to tell much. I did not till last spring. Before that I did. This spring I prepared a number of beds by covering them with well decomposed leaf mold. Spring broccoli and cabbage froze during a late freeze. Eggplant and beets did well. I covered the eggplant with row cover and beat the flea beetles.

On other beds I just planted after raking and weeding. Instead of mounding for sweet potatoes, i just put the slips in slits in the soil I made with a shovel. That seemed to work pretty well but I wish my soil were looser. Some plants bore small potatoes. I will try to mulch more. Bush, soy and purple hulled beans did well. Had good luck with fall broccoli that I planted through a white clover cover crop from the fall before. Potatoes didn't produce much. Not sure why. I planted on top of the soil and covered with straw. Harliquins hit hard here this summer, especially at another garden I'm just developing. At this garden the harliquins didn't do much damage to the broccoli that seemed to radiate health. I think the soil is getting good here.

Heirloom tomatoes did the best they have done for me this year. I mulched thickly with straw and I think that prevented wilt. I tried the Julia Child variety because it was dedicated to her. Didn't get as many tomatoes as I would have liked from them. The yellow variety that I bought with the Julia Child did very well. Can't remember the name of the place I bought seeds but it was the only place I could get the Child tomato seed.

I tried chocolate peppers because they were the only organic seed I could get. I did not use plastic to heat the soil. I used lots of straw mulch. Got quite a few smallish peppers.

On all the above beds I fertilized with Bioform organic fertilizer.

I'm concerned that bindweed has gotten established in some beds and can't dig deep enough to get it out. I'm going to try to cover the soil with weed barrier and burn holes in it to plant transplants. Steve Diver mentioned that it could work for bermuda grass at my new garden and I'm hoping that I can starve out the the bindweed. I don't trust myself to be consistent enough to pull every sprig as it emerges and starve out the roots.

I am going to apply horse manure to the beds during the next warm spell and recover with straw. I'm not sure how much credence you should give my report. There are lots of other factors that I didn't note and my energies were split between this garden and another one that I am developing for a children's home.

Much to learn.

Marty in Kansas City