livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:14:01 -0600

Dieter

It took me several years to convince myself that not tilling was okay. As Ken said the problem was in my head. I felt so comfortable tilling and uncomfortable when I didn't. I guess it was more emotional that in my head.

Marty
On Dec 15, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Dieter Brand wrote:

Ken, you wrote:

>The major problem farmer's have switching to organic,
>no-till is in their heads; not in the field.

Aren't you judging a little too harshly? In a parallel dialogue
with Phil, we have noted that there are climatic conditions
under which no-till will either not perform very well (cold climate),
or where no-till may not even be possible (dry climate).
But even in a temperate climate where there may be proven
methods of no-till farming, farmers are often under economic
stress that preclude any experimenting with new methods.

It is clear that ploughing has been ingrained in farmers since
ancient times, and that it can take something like a mental
revolution to convert to no-till. But I wouldn't underestimate
the intelligence of farmers, they know their responsibility in
running their business. No-till doesn't just mean to stop
ploughing.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com> wrote:
The major problem farmer's have switching to organic, no-till is in their heads; not in the field.  I have faced that challenge in the USA and 12 foreign countries many times.

Ken Hargesheimer

I believe nobody would contest that "organic no-till" is best, but it isn't always easy to implement.  I think farmers need to be given technical assistance to make the difficult switch to organic no-till.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. _______________________________________________