livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] New Farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] New Farmers
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:47:18 -0700

First, we don't pretend to be experts and we don't have experience with
growing or selling fruit, eggs, or the usual value added products like
honey or cheese. What we've learned is from the Internet and our first
season growing and selling in our new location east of Abq. We're on fixed
incomes so we needed to do well to even justify putting time and money into
it. So the previous summer we went to check out the farmers market in Santa
Fe, knowing it's supposed to be in the top ten across the U.S.

And it is. We saw maybe 200 vendors, food ready to eat, music, tabling by
various organizations, the whole enchilada. We looked to see which were the
busiest growers. The busiest had tables loaded with a variety of common
vegetables, such as Scarlet Nantes carrots. Lesson #1. Some tables had one
or two kinds and few customers. Others had even less, or things few
customers would be interested in, and the vendors sat there like a bump on
a log. And people walked by them without stopping to look. Lesson #2. So we
took another look at what was selling. Some hybrids, some heirlooms, but
most of the growers we asked had no idea what variety they had, what kind
of carrot or tomato. Uh ... maybe some Early Girls or Celebrities .. Lesson
#3.

>From all this it made sense for us to offer a good variety of the kinds
people want most, and to find a way to set our produce apart from others
with the same things. That's another story.