livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 113, Issue 5

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 113, Issue 5
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 01:42:33 -0700 (PDT)

Mitch,

It's a bit like triangulation, two points can give you a fairly good position provided
you have an angle.  Three different points (of views), provided they are at a faire
distance from each other, will give a pretty good position even without complicated
calculations.
As a child, I had the diametrically opposed views of radio broadcasts from East and
West Germany.  Listening to those, it was almost as if there where two parallel
universes in existence.  I don't know if it helped me at the time to form an informed
opinion, after all I was only a child.  What it did, however, was to plant the conviction
in me that all information is relative.

As an adult, I lived in many different countries and cultures which enabled me to fine
tune my personal system of triangulation.  This has come in handy on a personal
as well as on a professional level.  In this day and age of superabundant information,
I'm always surprised at how one-sided and narrow national opinion still is in most
countries.

On a practical level; there is no news media without bias, not even the good old
BBC.  It is only with the experience of comparing different sources that you will
notice each bias.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

"E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net> wrote:
That's a lot of news sources!  Is this just a list of sources you have found useful, or do you believe it necessary to check them all to have a good overview?  I don't think I can manage to even scan them all.  Isn't there a source or two that we can review and be fairly confident that we have an accurate and comprehensive picture of world events?

I'm always open to better ways of getting information,  but I'm on overload already.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz