livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Peter Crisp <peter.crisp@adelaide.edu.au>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:22:34 +0930

Hi It is not an ethanol replacement the oil from the seeds can be used
directly
as diesel fuel. approx 2000L/ha Ther are already 100,000s ha planted or
planned
in India.
But you are right the commercial lobbies have way too much power but try this
link
http://envirofuel.com.au/2007/07/07/bp-backs-jatropha-as-a-biodiesel-feedstock/

Pete

Quoting TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net>:

> It may grow in otherwise non-arable lands, but it's not economical to grow
> it commercially and harvest it there. You have to have roads to market,
> grow it near ethanol plants or have cheap bulk transport to get it there.
> If its feasible or profitable that raises the question of why they aren't
> doing it already. Notice it's always the good land that's converted to
> ethanol crops, taking away from food crops.
>
> I appreciate your good intentions on that, but the corn farmers lobby in
> this country is in the drivers seat. They aren't promoting corn for ethanol
> because it's such a sustainable solution. Follow the money.
>
> paul tradingpost@lobo.net

Dr Peter Crisp
South Australian Research and Development Institiute
Entomology Unit
PMB 1
Glen Osmond
South Australia