livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:24:55 -0600

It may grow in otherwise non-arable lands, but it's not economical to grow
it commercially and harvest it there. You have to have roads to market,
grow it near ethanol plants or have cheap bulk transport to get it there.
If its feasible or profitable that raises the question of why they aren't
doing it already. Notice it's always the good land that's converted to
ethanol crops, taking away from food crops.

I appreciate your good intentions on that, but the corn farmers lobby in
this country is in the drivers seat. They aren't promoting corn for ethanol
because it's such a sustainable solution. Follow the money.