livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:04:35 -0600

What we do with the land that sustains us IS the topic of this list.
However, we do need to focus on sustainability, not tax cost theory or corn
substitutes that the government is not subsidizing. We know there are
better ethanol crops than corn, but nobody's pursuing it so it's
irrelevant. It's difficult to face the hard fact that there is no good
substitute for oil, and demand is outrunning supply. I agree absolutely we
need to end our dependence on fossil fuels. But it's not gonna happen.
Crunch time is coming.

I know, we need to do this and do that, and all the other stuff, but I'm
not fighting the system when the odds are ten thousand to one against
sustainable change. I just do it.
I grow sustainably with extremely low fossil fuel inputs, and sell locally
direct, the best I can do under the circumstances.