livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:39:51 -0500 (CDT)

Pego and others,

As Paul indicated, we want to keep focused on proper use of land and soils.
It is primarily for this reason that I decided to participate on the biofuels
panel. But for this group I didn't want to bog it down with discussions of
subsidies and the like (as Paul noted).

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank those that have responded to me
off-line, especially Ken Hargesheimer who pointed me at GRAIN.org, which just
released a big special report on agrofuels (see their July, 07 edition of
Seedling): I'd visited this site before and was thoroughly impressed; there's
just so much to keep track of that they didn't cross my mind when considering
this undertaking (again Ken, thanks!).

I do feel that it's worth providing one piece of information from this report
that I find indicative of what disasters await us down this path:

The Indian government, not wanting to be left behind,
is promoting the rapid expansion of another
biodiesel crop, jatropha: by 2012 some 14 million
hectares are to be planted on what it has classified
as “wasteland”,[10] but reports are already coming
in of farmers being dispossessed of fertile land by
companies wanting to grow jatropha.[11] All of this
amounts to nothing less that the re-introduction
of the colonial plantation economy, redesigned to
function under the rules of the modern neoliberal,
globalised world.

The world needs these farmers! They posses the real solutions to the
questions/problems that face us now and in the future.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA