livingontheland - [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] discussion panel on biofuels
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:16:47 -0700

Mark Nagel said:
"Just signed myself up to be on a discussion panel on biofuels.  Obviously I'm on the "con" side. ....looks like I'm going to be facing the wolves, but I feel that someone has to stand up and present views which are unpopular. Are there any folks here who would like to help me get myself together off-line for such a discussion?"

Paul said:
"1. ethanol is not the pollution free fuel people imagine, either in driving
or its manufacture
2. ethanol produces little energy above what it takes to manufacture it, if
any
3. great amounts of good cropland is being diverted from food crops to
ethanol crops
4. this diversion is driving up food prices, corn, grains, dairy, beef,
poultry, and fertilizer prices
5. ethanol requires vast amounts of tax money to produce"

Paul's points were all on the money. I would emphasize number 2. ethanol produces little energy above what it takes to manufacture it, if any

I would add:
6. Ethanol requires vast amounts of fresh water, top soil and natural gas (for fertilizer) to grow. Do we really want to use up the last six-inches of top soil in America's heartland and draw down the last of the ancient fresh water aquifer and non-renewable natural gas deposits in order to keep our happy motoring love affair with the automobile going for another decade or two? Or should we be looking at more sustainable solutions such as oxen, electric railways, camels, bicycles, sail boats, etceteras?

Biofuels could be very useful on a small, local scale, especially if one grew one's own. But, trying to keep America's gargantuan auto fleet running on biofuels is a disaster of epic proportions, in my opinion.

My neighbor is giving me a donkey next month to help protect my goats from mountain lions, bobcats and coyotes. I'm not looking forward to needing to ride it or use it as a pack animal, but not ruling out the possibility either.

Dozens of articles on biofuels are available here:  http://www.energybulletin.net/news.php?cat=71

Doug