livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Hippies Were Right!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Hippies Were Right!
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:30:44 -0600

On 5/7/07 10:05 PM, "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

> Oh boy, now we've got way off topic and I'm in the middle of it without
> realizing. Back to Living On The Land?
>
> How bout them chickens?

Well done, Paul

I'm happy to report the chickens are doing well and we're entertained more
and more by them every day.

My husband finally decided to build the chicken house right in the front of
our new house just a few feet from where the PJ forest begins. They are
free ranging but come running when I walk out onto the deck. I just toss
scraps off the deck for them and they readily clean everything up. Once or
twice a day I also toss them some commercial chicken food.

We have Chochins, Bramas, Rhode Island Reds and Banty Araucanas. It's a
real hoot seeing how the different breeds behave and interact.

If they're out in the open and a raven flies over, they dash squacking and
in a panic to get back under the cover of a dense juniper tree.

Anyone know when I can expect them to start laying? They're probably about
8 or 10 weeks old now.

Gail