livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Toward A Sustainability Ethic - was The Hippies Were Right!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Toward A Sustainability Ethic - was The Hippies Were Right!
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:07:02 -0500

Maybe. But it would be difficult to contemplate a sustainability ethic without considering the renaissance of the 1960s. It threw out almost every ruel to try to establish better ones. A lot of babies got thrown out with the bath and the staying power was weak, but...

It seems like we need to evolve a sustainability ethic that people can agree to in their hearts. I wonder if we on this list could come to some guidelines that feel good to live by. The fewer and simpler the better.

Toward that I would put forth the idea that everything is interconnected or that the universe is one whole thing. Any action done to any part effects everything else. The second idea is to do no harm, or as little as possible. Maybe this one should be stated in the positive that we try to love every thing and everyone, self included. The third is to keep your lights turned on especially during action so you can see the effects of your actions.

Marty