livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Hippies Were Right!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: jeff <jko@bsn1.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Hippies Were Right!
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 11:12:11 -0400

On Monday 07 May 2007 2:53 pm, Pego Rice wrote:
> Many of the catchphrases of the time are our rally
> cries today. Audre Lorde said "When I dare to be
> powerful - to use my strength in the service of my
> vision, then it becomes less and less important
> whether I am afraid." It was she who coined the
> phrase we live with, to "Be the change you wish to
> see".

Hi Pego, great post, as with most of life, the truth isn't
found in simple good/bad judgements. Life is complex
and so were the hippies.

As for the saying "Be the change you wish to see". I have
always thought that was a famous quote from Ghandi
"You have to be the change you want to see
in the world". If we want peace, eventually everyone
has to be peaceful. If we want healthy food, then we
need to support healthy food production, etc.

Our culture has a tendency to twist words and ideas
with strange statements like: "fighting for peace" or
in the case of food "green revolution". The green
revolution was about chemicals and corporate farming
and should have been called "big chemical brown out"

all the best, jeff