livingontheland - [Livingontheland] ??? The Hippies Were Right!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] ??? The Hippies Were Right!
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 09:52:43 -0600

All that idealism was heady stuff, but it died for a reason. The Summer of
Love didn't last beyond the summer, did it. Lots of kids had summer off
from college and spending money, and come September they went back to
school. Lots more suffered malnutrition and STDs, or worse. And it's easy
to be idealistic when there's plenty to go around. The thing that struck me
about that lifestyle was the fact that nobody was actually *working*. I
heard street kids arguing "come the revolution we won't need money". Sure,
kid. I kept working. And reading Rodale.

I liked their reaction against the doctrine of competition and consumption.
The uptight, sick 50's culture needed to be strangled, but the hippies were
just living off the prosperity of others, including their parents and
friends. Haight-Ashbury didn't create a working model of a new, sustainable
society. And almost nothing survived of the communes. Even the Farm today
isn't what it used to be at all. Gaskin explained all the changes to me
when I ran into him in Santa Fe a while back. The Magic Bus basically ran
out of gas.

I don't have any special lifestyle or philosophy to recommend except to say
our security and future lies in how we live on the land. Sitting around
grooving won't feed a starving world or solve any social problems. Life
takes work, and working with the land is the most noble and fulfilling kind
of work.