livingontheland - [Livingontheland] What's left now/ The Hippies Were Right!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] What's left now/ The Hippies Were Right!
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 09:55:47 -0600

It calls to mind that weird commercial they ran for Woodstock II a few
years back. They had supposed ex-hippies in business atire talking software
and taxes ("that you, Sunshine???) - gag. It was obviously meant to get the
yuppie demographic who could afford the concert price. But in the end it
wasn't a repeat of Woodstock; it was just another outdoor concert. This
time they had lots of vendors and pricey stuff, lots of restrooms and all
the conveniences - without the original mud and Hendrix ending it while
trash pickup started there on Yasgur's farm. I only know because my son
went this last time, he was definitely not a yuppie and worked his way in
as an employee of the concert.

So where does all this leave us today? Do we have much left of the ideals
of community, of working with nature, of living more simply in tune with
the seasons and the cycles of life? Is it vain hope that we'll learn to
listen to the wind and the rain, feel the soil, smell the fresh air and
make a more sustainable life? Or like Woodstock II just be passive
consumers of feel-good concerts?