livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Popular Misconceptions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Popular Misconceptions
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 15:31:07 -0600

My guess, Paul, is that the real misconception is the Western idea that behavior can be "taught" or "learned" from books, tapes, seminars or phone calls, and then acted on.

Modeling, live-in apprenticeships, and daily life are the only ways that "work" for any skill that requires applying knowledge in a physical way.

Which is why we live among a generation of people who only know how to teach or learn - but not know how to DO anything they teach or learn. 12 years of public education prepares you to be a teacher, student,  factory worker or a couch potato. Not a farmer. Farming with a farmer teaches you to be a farmer.

So, it's not that I don't want to do no-till or send out my soil sample or remediate my pasture. But only what I learned living at Carrie's house and doing her chores with her seems to really get done at my house!

Laurie Ann