livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] popular misconceptions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] popular misconceptions
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 22:40:29 -0600

Paul, I have to add two similar misconceptions. This comes from my friends who have livestock.

1. You must use herbicides to have good hay.... I think 2-4-D is what is used ... could that be the correct name?

2. You must use herbicides along your fences because you can't keep the weeds down easily otherwise.

Of course all the smaller gardeners who are not organic grab Roundup at every possible opportunity. I've probably said this before; Roundup is a religion here.

I don't know enough about growing hay to advise the one guy and I have no trouble with keeping weeds off our fences (One surrounding 1/2 an acre and one surrounding 1/4th of an acre. We just go along and pull but I do have the boys helping me and my friends have no one.

I talked to a young lady whose family has a farm just a few weeks ago and found that their farm doesn't use herbicides. "We can't afford it anymore but we need to use it as our hay quality isn't as good as it used to be," is what she said.

BTW, I have called everyone in this area for a flame weeder (even naming several brands) and all I get is "never heard of anything like that." I can't afford one anymore but some day I hope to get one. It would make my life here a little easier.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins