livingontheland - [Livingontheland] No-till small-scale grain growing?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "J Bailey" <jbmail@isomedia.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] No-till small-scale grain growing?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:26:42 -0700

We live on 1.25 acres and have it cross-fenced into smaller paddocks. Right now we have 2 goats and 37 chickens (some meat, some layers). We're getting a Dexter heifer next month and I look forward to her manure contribution while she grows up.

There is one paddock that it kind of a buffer between us & our neighbors, that we probably won't run critters on. Right now we have a tiny potato patch that we hand dug, and plan to expand next year. The rest of the paddock, I'd like to try growing a few grains, even just barley for brewing. Can we do it without using another neighbor's tractor or tiller to tear everything up? I know once we do that, we're headed down a high maintenance path.

Anyway, maybe I'm missing something obvious someone else can point out to me.
--Joanna