livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:11:22 -0500

Harvey, we use no manure but I apply compost by sidedressing the plant. I pull back the mulch, sprinkle the compost around the base of the plant, and put the mulch back around the plant. The mulch helps keep the nutrients of the compost right around the roots and not washed away. And the mulch helps keep the beneficial microbes in the compost in an optimal environment.

Keep in mind that I'm still somewhat struggling with poor soil. I dig transplanting holes larger than I would if my soil was good and fill those holes with compost. When I plant I put compost in the furrow or hole so the compost is right where the roots of the plant needs it. Doing this uses about half the compost I can make in a season .... every bit of compost is needed for something with none to spare.

We also use carefully aged (well aged) compost as a seed starting medium.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins